Post-Divorce Issues

Nebraska Child Custody Modification Attorney

At the Law Offices of Willow T. Head, P.C., L.L.O., we understand that family situations change. Whether you need a reduction in child support or a change in your parenting time schedule, our firm can help. We are dedicated to providing you with the answers you need.

If you want to modify or enforce a child support order or child custody agreement, contact our Omaha family law firm to schedule an appointment with an experienced attorney.

I’m Divorced – Now What?

Addressing Key Issues after Your Divorce

After the divorce, you and your ex-spouse will have two separate households. You will have to maintain those two homes on the money with which you used to maintain one household. You will need to adjust financially and emotionally. It generally takes one (1) to three (3) years from the time the divorce decree is entered to emotionally heal from a divorce. Please keep this in mind when starting new relationships.

Furthermore, if your ex-spouse has been difficult all of his or her life, it is very unlikely that going through a divorce will make him or her less difficult. This process will not change him or her and a court order is unlikely to cure the problem. After the divorce, you will be separated; but to the extent that you are still tied together by parenting time, child support, alimony, or debt payments, you will still have to deal with the problems together.

There are some issues and areas of your financial life that will need to be reviewed.  Some of areas you will need to look at are as follows:

Name change

If you have changed your surname during the divorce you will need to notify the following agencies: Department of Motor Vehicles; Social Security Department, Employer; credit cards, passport.


Review your beneficiary forms as well as the name on your accounts. (ie: bank account, mutual funds, stocks, bonds, IRAs). Please ensure that the account is now titled in your name alone. Your bank and investor have the forms to make these changes. A rollover may need to occur to effectuate the final terms of the dissolution.

Notify employer

You will need to review your W4 with your employer. You may need to adjust your deductions because your will be filing single, rather than married for tax purposes.


You will need to review the beneficiary forms on your retirement plan, disability policy and insurance plans offered through your employer.


Review the name and beneficiary on your life insurance forms. If you are required to designate the policy to your children, then please comply with this provision. If you are entitled to ask for annual verification of your ex’s policy, then please remember to do so.

Health Insurance

Depending upon the Decree and what was agreed to or ordered, please review the policy and make any necessary changes.

Estate Planning

Review all estate planning documents including your Will, Living Will and Power of Attorney for Health Care and financial decisions.


Close all joint accounts if they have not already been closed.  Transfer utilities out of joint names.  Remove ex-spouse name from all credit lines and terminate all joint credit cards.


Nebraska Parental Move-Away Attorney

When a parent has custody of his or her child(ren), that parent needs permission from the court in order to move the child(ren) out of the court’s jurisdiction. It is important that you seek out a knowledgeable Omaha, Nebraska, child relocation attorney in order to learn about your rights.

Time with your child is precious. If you or your ex-spouse is planning to move out of Nebraska with your child(ren), contact the Law Offices of Willow T. Head, P.C., L.L.O. , today so that we can start the necessary parental relocation paperwork.

Parents Who Want to Move Out of the Jurisdiction

In Nebraska, court permission is necessary in order to move out of the state with children. In order to move out of the court’s jurisdiction, a parent must show that:

  • There is a legitimate reason to move
  • The move is in the best interests of the child

Legitimate reasons to move may include a new job, educational opportunities, or a remarriage. When determining if the move is in the best interests of the child the court will look at a number of factors, such as:

  • The effect the move will have on the child(ren)
  • The ability of the noncustodial parent to visit the child(ren)
  • The age, and health of the child(ren) and parents
  • The children’s wishes, if they are old enough

If you are a parent who needs to move out of the state, it is very important that you talk to an experienced Omaha, Nebraska, child relocation attorney as soon as possible. At the Law Offices of Willow T. Head, attorney Head will listen to your needs and advise you accordingly.


Parents Who Want to Stop Their Child(ren) From Moving Away

A move may be prevented if we can prove that there is not a legitimate reason to move or it is not in the best interests of the minor child/children.

If the court does approve the child’s move, we may be able to ask that the custodial parent pay the cost of transportation for parenting time. You may also be able to get additional or extended parenting time rights because of the hardship this move has imposed.

The Law Offices of Willow T. Head can help you move with your child or stop your child from being moved out of the state. Contact our Omaha, Nebraska, child relocation attorney today.

Modifications and Enforcement

Alimony, child support and child custody modifications are not as simple as filing a paper with the court. While a modification may not be as complicated as a divorce, it is not something that can be finished within a few days.

At the Law Offices of Willow T. Head, attorney Head can help you with modifications to:

  • Child support orders: Although child support guidelines provide a baseline, the amount of support you are ordered to pay can be modified if there has been a material change in your circumstances, such as a job loss.
  • Child custody and parenting time agreements: A child custody and parenting time agreement may be modified for a number of reasons, including a parent seeking to relocate out of the area , a change in the child’s needs, or a change to a parent’s situation.
  • Alimony: A court may modify a spousal support agreement if there has been a significant change to the situation of one of the parties.

You need an experienced modification attorney to help you prepare a strong case to the judge about why your original order should be modified. At the Law Offices of Willow T. Head, we will answer your questions about modifications and start the process. We understand your situation and will zealously represent you throughout your case.

Enforcement of Support

When a parent is not paying the child support required of them, it can take a financial and emotional toll on the life of the custodial parent. With more than 20 years of child support enforcement experience, we can help you get the child support you deserve.

We can bring a contempt charge against the noncomplying parent. If the parent continues to avoid payment under the court order, he or she may be sanctioned by the court with:

  • Fines
  • Attorneys’ fees
  • Jail time

If you need to have your child custody, support or alimony enforced or modified, contact our family law firm to speak with an experienced Omaha, Nebraska, child support enforcement and modification attorney.

Send a Message

Our team is ready to help you take the first step

You can generally expect a response within two business days.